Get your PADI scuba certification with Central Coast Dive Center. If you’ve always wanted to learn how to scuba dive, discover new adventures or simply see the amazing world beneath the waves, this is where it starts.
The PADI Open Water Diver course is our most popular scuba course, and has introduced thousands of Tri-State locals to the adventurous diving lifestyle. You can start your scuba certification today with Central Coast Dive Center, a PADI 5-star Instructor Development Center. PADI reserves their 5-star rating for only the highest quality and safest instructional facilities in the world – and we’re only minutes from downtown Cincinnati!
The Fun Part
The fun part about this course is . . . well, just about all of it – because learning to dive is incredible. You breathe underwater for the first time (something you’ll never forget!) and learn what you need to know to become a certified diver. During the course, you’ll make at least five pool dives and four dives at local dive sites under the supervision of Central Coast’s staff of PADI-certified Instructors.
Our divers often start diving with us so they can go diving on a vacation or as a family activity – and then they have so much fun, they continue diving with us for years to come. We are proud that our customer service and fun, relaxed atmosphere keep divers coming back to Central Coast again and again.
What You Learn
The PADI Open Water Diver course consists of three main phases:
- Knowledge Development (online, home study or in a classroom ) to understand basic principles of scuba diving
- Confined Water (Pool) Dives to learn basic scuba skills
- Open Water Dives to review your skills and explore!
- To enroll in the PADI Open Diver course or Junior Open Water Diver course, you must be 10 years or older.
The Scuba Gear You Use
In Central Coast Dive Center’s Open Water Diver course, you learn to use basic scuba gear including a dive computer, and standard accessories.
- Students are required to own their own mask, fins and snorkel. We recommend you visit our on-site dive shop prior to starting your class so we can help you select equipment that fits you perfectly!
- Full sets of equipment (BCD, regulator set, SPG, compass, dive computer, wetsuit) are available for FREE to OW students for use in the pool.
- Divers must provide their own equipment for all Open Water certification dives. Central Coast Dive Center conducts “certification weekends” at local quarries for divers to complete their Open Water Certification Dives. Divers are responsible for bringing their own equipment to and from certification weekend dives. We offer complete sets of equipment for sale in our on-site dive shop, as well as sets of rental equipment (BCD, regulator set, SPG, compass, dive computer, wetsuit, tanks, weights) if you would like to rent equipment for your local OW certification dives. Click here for rental information.
The Learning Materials You Need
- PADI Open Water Diver Crew Pak
The PADI Open Water Diver Crew Pak contains all the materials that cover what you need to know about basic scuba diving skills, terminology and safety procedures. For each concept you’ll read a description in the Open Water Diver manual and watch a video demonstration on the Open Water Diver DVD. Then you’ll jump in the pool to practice these skills with your instructor. Later, as a certified diver, use the course materials as a reference guide for future diving adventures and to review what you learned.
How Long Does It Take?
We typically conduct our Open Water Diver classes over the course of 2 weeks. There are 6 energetic and fun-filled classroom/pool sessions total over 2 weeks. We spend a total of 6-9 hours in the classroom and 9-12 hours in the pool.
We invest this much time and effort in our student divers to ensure that they all receive the highest quality education possible, and to ensure that our divers feel comfortable and confident in confined water (pool environment) prior to moving on to open water diving. In fact, we’ll even schedule FREE extra practice sessions with divers who ask for them. Your safety and comfort are our #1 priority – and safe, comfortable divers have more FUN!
What Should I Do Next?
- Call (859) 426-0020 to schedule your Open Water Diver certification class. Click here to see our class calendar.
- Stop by Central Coast Dive Center for a tour of our facilities and a custom equipment fitting. Click here for driving directions.
- Pick up your Open Water Diver Crew Pak. The Crew Pack contains all of the course materials (folder, paperwork, books, carrying case, logbook, etc) that you need for this class, and it’s available in our fully stocked on-site dive shop.
Want To Start Right Now?
With PADI eLearning and the PADI Open Water Diver Course Online, you can start right now!
The PADI Open Water Diver Course Online lets you learn the background information you need before each dive, at your own pace through friendly, interactive learning. Once you’ve completed the online Knowledge Reviews, call us at (859) 426-0020 to schedule the pool sessions in our heated indoor pool! Click here to learn more about online classes.
Your Next Adventure
Once you complete your Open Water Diver certification, try joining a CCDC dive trip to log some time in the ocean! Or continue your education with Speciality courses or the Advanced Open Water Diver course!