Are you ready for a diving emergency? Would you be able to manage a problem or would you have to try and find someone else? Central Coast Dive Center’s Rescue course will teach you not only to recognize and handle a diving emergency when it occurs, but also to prevent potential diving accidents.
“Challenging” and “rewarding” best describe the PADI Rescue Diver course. Building upon what you’ve already learned, this course expands on what you already know about how to prevent problems, and how to manage them if they occur.
In the class, you will perform diver rescues and assist as well as administer first aid.
The Fun Part
The fun part about this course is rising to challenges and mastering them. Most divers find this course both demanding and rewarding, and at the end, say it’s the best course they’ve ever taken.
What You Learn
- Self rescue
- Recognizing and managing stress in other divers
- Emergency management and equipment
- Rescuing panicked divers
- Rescuing unresponsive divers
To enroll in the PADI Rescue Diver course, you must
- Be 12 years or older
- Have a PADI Adventure Diver or Advanced Open Water certification (or have a qualifying certification from another organization)
- Be trained and current for first aid and CPR within the previous two years (Ask your instructor about Central Coast Dive Center’s Emergency First Response CPR and first aid courses)
How Long Does It Take?
This course typically consists of 3 weeknight classroom/pool sessions and ~2 OW dives (can be completed in a single day or over a weekend).
The Scuba Gear You Use
- Students are required to own their own mask, fins and snorkel.
- Full sets of equipment (BCD, regulator set, SPG, compass, dive computer, wetsuit) are available for FREE to students for pool sessions.
- Divers must provide their own equipment for all OW dives. Central Coast Dive Center offers complete sets of rental equipment (BCD, regulator set, SPG, compass, dive computer, wetsuit, tanks, weights). Click here for rental information.
The Learning Materials You Need
PADI Rescue Diver Crew Pak
The PADI Rescue Diver crew pak includes all materials required to complete the PADI Rescue Diver course – including a pocket mask. You’ll learn how to think like a rescue diver and preview skills you’ll practice with your PADI Instructor. Once your Rescue Diver course is complete, you can review the DVD to refresh your dive safety skills as needed. This tool box of knowledge and technique will give you the expertise to handle almost any emergency situation.
What Should I Do Next?
Want To Start Right Now?
Your Next Adventure
After completing Emergency First Response and the PADI Rescue Diver course, ask you instructor about taking the PADI Emergency Oxygen Provider course. Together, these three courses round out your ability to handle scuba diver emergencies!
Also, consider taking the next step to become a PADI Professional with the PADI Divemaster course.